What is Solar Photovoltaic (PV)
Solar electricity systems capture the sun’s energy using photovoltaic (PV) cells. The cells convert the sunlight into electricity, which can be used to run household appliances, lighting and can even be sold back to your electricity supplier.
How do photovoltaic (PV) cells work?
PV cells are panels you can attach to your roof or walls on a southerly facing aspect. Each cell is made from one or two layers of semiconducting material, usually a silicon-based material. When light shines on the cell it creates an electric field across the layers. The stronger the sunshine, the more electricity is produced. This electricity is then transferred to the house where it is plugged into the houses’ electrical supply, supporting or replacing external electricity.
PV cells come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colours, from grey “solar tiles” that look like roof tiles, to panels and transparent cells that you can use on conservatories and glass.
The strength of a PV cell is measured in kilowatt peak (kWp) – that’s the amount of energy the cell generates in full sunlight. The panels once linked together create the kWp output of the system, which for domestic use typically range between 1kWp suitable for a small house, through to 4kWp suitable for a large family house. Our energy advisors will discuss with you the optimum solution for your home, based upon your energy usage, available roof space, and the benefits you are looking to achieve.
The Benefits of Absolute Solar electricity
- Cut your carbon footprint: solar electricity is green, renewables energy ands doesn’t release any harmful carbon dioxide or other pollutants. A typical home PV system installed by Absolute Solar could save around 1200 kg of carbon dioxide per year – that’s around 30 tonnes over its lifetime.
- Cut your electricity bills: sunlight is free, so once you’ve paid for the initial installation your electricity costs will be greatly reduced. A typical home PV system can produce around 40% of the electricity a household uses in a year.
- Sell electricity back to the Grid: if your system is producing more electricity than you need, or when you can’t use it, someone else can use it – and you could make a bit of money. Read more about selling electricity.
- Store electricity for a cloudy day: If your home isn’t connected to the national grid, you can store excess electricity in batteries to use when you need it.
- Absolute Solar Solutions provide the complete electricity solution for your home, FREE impartial advice and registered with the Microgeneration Certificated Scheme (MCS) you can benefit from the Governments guaranteed Feed in Tariffs (FiTs) scheme for the next 25 years.
*Planning Permission not required: New planning laws recently introduced mean that planning permission is not normally required to attach to existing building, but we can advise on your precise needs when our energy advisors visit.
Contact us on: 0800 954 6134
Email us on: email@example.com